More and more BSN-educated nurses in Idaho are returning to school to get a master’s degree in nursing because of the professional and financial benefits. The 2012 survey conducted by the Advance Healthcare Network for Nurses revealed that BSN-educated nurses in the western region of the US earned an average annual salary of $75,975 compared to $87,933 for MSN-educated nurses.
- Grand Canyon University - MSN - Acute Care NP, FNP, Health Care Quality & Patient Safety, Health Informatics, Nursing Education, Nurse Leadership, and Public Health Nursing
- Purdue University Global - Online RN to BSN
- SNHU - B.S. in Nursing - RN to BSN (Accelerated RN to MSN) and M.S. in Nursing
- Sacred Heart University - online RN-BSN-MSN with three MSN specializations.
According to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), 99 Idaho nurses were enrolled in RN-MSN programs in one of the four AACN-accredited educational institutions in Idaho. MSN graduates go on to become nurse supervisors and administrators, researchers, disease specialists or educators.
Many MSN-educated nurses also opt for a career in advanced practice, becoming nurse practitioners, nurse anesthetists or nurse midwives. The AACN maintains that in 2013 there were 42 Idaho nurses studying to become advanced practice RNs. APRNs currently make up 7.5 percent of Idaho’s total nursing force.
Nurse Practitioner Salaries in Idaho
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) 2013 occupational wage survey, the 550 nurse practitioners working in Idaho earned the following:
The Idaho Department of Labor (DOL) 2014 occupational wage report lists the following hourly wages for nurse practitioners in Idaho:
In comparison, the Idaho DOL 2014 wage for a BSN-educated nurse was:
The following data included for comparison was provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics to show nurse practitioner salaries in key metropolitan areas of Idaho:
Nurse Anesthetist Salaries in Idaho
The 2013 BLS survey reports nurse anesthetist salaries in Idaho as follows:
The Idaho DOL reports the following statewide nurse anesthetist hourly wages for 2014:
- Entry-Level: $63.04
- Mean: $80.88
- Middle Range: $64.14 – $89.59
The following data included for comparison was provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics to show nurse anesthetist salaries in key metropolitan areas of Idaho:
* These sums are at or above $187,199 annually or $90.00 hourly. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics generally does not report annual salaries over $187,199 or hourly wages over $90.00.