According to the American Association of Colleges of Nurses, there are three universities located in Tennessee, and more than 166 online programs nationwide that offer RN-MSN programs designed to allow registered nurses the opportunity to take on specialized roles in clinical and nonclinical practice. Whether enrolling in specialized programs as a path to APN licensure, or programs designed to prepare nurses to work in administration, education, and clinical leadership, earning an MSN always comes with a higher salary.
- Grand Canyon University - MSN - Acute Care NP, FNP, Health Care Quality & Patient Safety, Health Informatics, Nursing Education, Nurse Leadership, and Public Health Nursing
- Purdue University Global - Online RN to BSN
- SNHU - B.S. in Nursing - RN to BSN (Accelerated RN to MSN) and M.S. in Nursing
- Sacred Heart University - online RN-BSN-MSN with three MSN specializations.
In 2013, Tennessee’s RN-MSN programs helped to:
- Give 2,524 students the opportunity to enroll in master-level nursing programs
- Graduate 3,596 students from baccalaureate and graduate level nursing programs (dual degree programs)
- Educate 2,364 nursing students to become APNs
A Look at Salaries Among MSN-Educated Nurses in Tennessee
The Advance Healthcare Network conducted a salary survey for nurses in the nation’s southern states, including Tennessee. The results of that survey showed that MSN nurses clearly earned much higher salaries than nurses holding diplomas, ADNs or BSNs:
- Diploma: $53,860/yr.
- ADN Degree: $58,562/yr.
- BSN/NS Degree: $61,956/yr.
- MSN/MS Degree: $77,370/yr.
In 2013, the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development found advanced practice nurses in the state earning salaries consistent with what MSN-educated nurses earned throughout the Southern United States:
Nurse practitioners working in Tennessee earned the following:
- Entry-Level: $73,118/yr. or $35.15/hr.
- Mid-Career: $90,124/yr. or $43.35/hr.
- Experienced: $102,045/yr. or $49.05/hr.
MSN-educated nurse midwives employed throughout Tennessee earned the following:
- Entry-Level: $62,376/yr. or $30.00/hr.
- Mid-Career: $75,213/yr. or $36.15/hr.
- Experienced: $93,142/yr. or $44.80/hr.
Nurse anesthetists employed statewide earned the following:
- Entry-Level: $113,583/yr. or $54.60/hr.
- Mid-Career: $136,633/yr. or $65.70/hr.
- Experienced: $160,748/yr. or $77.30/hr.
Nurse Practitioner Salaries in Tennessee
A nurse practitioner’s earnings may depend on their geographic location of employment. In 2013, the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics released the data found below to show nurse practitioner salaries in several regions in Tennessee:
Nurse Anesthetist Salaries in Tennessee
A nurse anesthetist’s earnings may depend on the local demand for their services. In 2013, the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics created the data table located below to show nurse anesthetist salaries in several regions in Tennessee:
*These figures represent hourly wages that are at least $90.00 per hour or annual salaries that are at least $187,199. These are the maximum salaries reported by the US Bureau of Labor for Labor Statistics.